Planning your summer vacation? Don’t forget to make plans to keep your home and belongings safe while you are away. Here are a few practical tips to ensure your house stays safe, whether you are gone for a week or a month.
1. Install interior lights with timers. Use the “random” setting to make your home look occupied while you are away.
2. Keep your home’s exterior looking tidy. Stop newspaper and mail delivery or have a neighbor pick it up for you. And, if you’ll be away longer than a week, make arrangements for your lawn to be mowed.
3. Unplug your garage door openers to prevent tech savvy burglars from gaining easy access to your home.
4. Don’t hide a spare key. Instead, leave a key with a trusted neighbor.
5. Unplug your electronics to prevent damage from lightning strikes.
6. Lock up or hide your valuables. Burglars are usually most interested in what they can get their hands on easily.
7. Make sure you have deadbolts installed on all outside doors and lock them. Pushbutton locks are easy for burglars to open.
8. Don’t advertise your vacation on social media. This is an easy way for people to find out when you won’t be home. Share photos and details of your trip after you return.